I'll make it up to you by describing in great detail what I made for dinner/dessert on a daily-ish basis until you get sick of my mundane story lines and lack of photographs, and pack up your bags for another blog altogether! I'd totally understand. Get ready for some Test Kitchen Overload...
Tonight's culinary masterpiece has been a wonderful slur between boxed mac and leftovers! YAY! :D
We made the Cincinnati Chili two weeks ago following a recipe from The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2008 Cookbook (recipe below). We were finally down to the last portion and were intending to repeat the Cincinnati Chili-Dog success from a few days ago. Unfortunately, the hot dog buns went rogue on me and started up a science fair project!
Store brand boxed mac'n'cheese to the rescue! I knew there was a reason why we always keep a stock of that stuff in the pantry...
Well anyways...the end result was surprisingly good. It combined the nostalgia-inducing texture of Kraft mac'n'cheese from my childhood with the wonderful flavors and aromas of something homemade. I could barely detect the plastic-powder-cheese flavor! Or maybe I was just really hungry and wolfed it down in a flash...*shrug*
In either case, here is the recipe for the Cincinnati Chili. It makes enough for two adults to eat 8 chili dogs and 8 servings as recommended (with spaghetti noddles, etc.)
Cincinnati Chili (from The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2008)
1 Tablespooon vegetable oil
2 onions, minced (2 cups)
---
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
---
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups canned tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Extras
1 onion, chopped (~1 cup)
4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese (~1 cup)
oyster crackers
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering
- Cook the onions until softened, ~8 minutes
- Add everything between the "---" above and cook until fragrant, ~30 seconds
- Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, vinegar and sugar
No comments:
Post a Comment