Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yarn Crafting and Cosmopolicakes

This was meant to be posted on June 6th (at least that was the last editing date...) but I guess that I forgot to hit the "Publish Post" button before I finished *SHRUG* oh well... here it is anyways! :D

I haven't been baking in a while because I've gotten pretty preoccupied with my yarn crafts (i.e. knitting & crocheting) Nothing ever feels completely finished for me (mainly because I hate to weave all of those ending threads back into the work :P) but I have managed to pull a few side projects out of the corner of shame and into regular use.


This is what I have fondly called my GIANT GRANNY SQUARE AFGHAN. I started this back in January 2010 as a way to kill some spare time at my in-between-jobs job. All of the yarn (except for the two outermost red stripes) was pulled from my grandmother's overflowing yarn stash!

Once I got going with each of the stripes I just didn't feel like stopping to start another block. I also didn't feel like sewing millions of smaller blocks together because I already do enough of that with regular old quilting fabric :D Thus the Giant Granny Square is born!


Here is a close up of the center-stripey bit.


And a close up of the outside border. I added the large blocks of blue and white on only two sides because I felt that it had reached a good width, but still needed to be lengthened a bit. I also had plenty of blue and white yarn left to use up out of my stash...

I probably could have made the side borders a little wider (maybe 12 rows to match the blue & white blocks, instead of 6), but after several complaints by the girls at my knitting group that it was huge/getting too big to carry around...and with summer looming right around the corner...I decided that it was finally large enough and threw on some fringe :D

1 comment:

  1. I liked your reference to the "corner of shame." We all have one, don't we? Beautiful afghan!

    ReplyDelete