I am attempting to justify this to myself by remembering that I am using up some of the stockpiled vegetables from my weeks and weeks of farm share produce. I am also making a meal that will feed like 15-16 people so perhaps I won't have to worry about making/prepping dinners (or lunches, or even breakfasts!) until after I have completed my move! Whatever other excuses I come up with...here is the recipe for you to enjoy :D
SHEPHERD'S BEAN PIE
(from The Market Fresh Cookbook by Taste of Home)
1 1/4 pounds fresh green beans, cleaned & cut into 2-inch pieces
1 1/4 pounds fresh wax beans, cleaned & cut into 2-inch pieces
3 medium carrots, peeled & cut into 2-inch julienned strips
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 pat of butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chicken broth (I used 1/2 teaspoon chicken base & 1/2 cup boiling water)
6 ounces cooked ham, cubed
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (I used deli slices and cut them into small strips)
7 cups mashed potatoes (I used golden/white and smashed them with some butter & sour cream)
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
*WARNING* I may just be slow at vegetable preparation...but it took me almost an hour to get all of the veggies prepped as you see them below. Not shown is the making of the mashed potatoes...I was somewhat overwhelmed and forgot that I had a camera in the room :P
Green Beans and Wax beans with ends trimmed off and cut into (roughly) 2-inch pieces.
My version of julienned carrots (i.e. cut it into quarters, and then eighths, and then just keep going until you get tired of cutting pieces in half length-wise)
Cubed ham steak...yum! If you leave this out, your Shepherd's Pie is now vegetarian friendly :D
Swiss cheese sliced into small chunks
I did manage to get a quick pic of the potatoes before I threw the whole kabash into the oven.....
But enough with the photos! Time for some cooking INSTRUCTION! :D
- Place beans and carrots in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil
- Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp tender
- Drain and set aside
- In same saucepan, *see footnote* saute the onion in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the soup, milk and chicken broth
- Add the drained beans, carrots and cubed ham to the onion saute
- Pour the soupy mixture over the veggies/ham and stir to coat
- Sprinkle with approx. 1 cup cheese and top with mashed potatoes
- Cover dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese
- Bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melted
- Remove from oven to a cooling rack/trivet and set the table!
- ENJOY!!! :D
*FOOTNOTE* I used a large 5-quart stockpot to (1) boil the potatoes, (2) boil the beans and carrots, and (3) to saute the onions (my Daddy would be so proud!!!) I believe this pot is also oven-safe so I just mixed everything back in, threw on a lid and baked away! Yay Me! :D
I also baked some Snickerdoodles the other day...but those were eaten up too quickly to snap a photo :P I have included the recipe below and an additional recipe for a yummy filling if you feel the need to make Snickerdoodle Sandwiches!
SNICKERDOODLES & SANDWICHES
(recipe origin unknown)
Cookie:
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Coating:
4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Sandwich Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 Tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cream the butter and sugar together until uniform in color/texture
- Add the eggs and mix well
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining cookie dry ingredients
- Carefully add the flour mixture and stir until it comes together as a ball/cohesive unit
- Roll dough into balls and roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture
- Evenly space on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes (they are done when the tops become crackly)
- Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack
- In the meantime, combine the filling ingredients and maybe wash up some dishes :P
- When the cookies are completely cool, spread a 'dollop' of filling on the bottom of one cookie and 'smoosh' between another cookie for a Snickerdoodle Sandwich!
- ENJOY!!! :D
And now that I have spent all of my remaining time blogging...TIME TO PACK!!!
-M-
No comments:
Post a Comment